How does the French Press work?
I have seen it, but I am curious HOW it works? Does it require a special filter? How many cups does it make at one time? How long after adding the water do you wait before using the plunger? I really need to know all of it.
1. No special filter is needed. The plunger acts as the filter. The fine screen keeps the grounds under the plunger.
2. This model makes about 2 regular mugs of coffee. If you get the matching cups that come with the press it's about 4 of those cups.
3. After adding the water my preference is to wait about 2-3 minutes before pushing the plunger down – it also depends on the roast or flavor of the coffee I’m drinking. Since the grounds are still in the water the coffee intensity will continue to increase until all of the coffee has been poured out of the press.
4. To use - The coffee grounds are placed in the bottom, pour close to boiling water in to about 1/2"-1" below the pour spout (this is important do not fill to just below the spout because when you put the lid on and start pushing the plunger the grounds and water will erupt out of the spout making a mess or getting grounds above the plunger and into your drinkable coffee). Place the lid on with the plunger at the top. Wait until the coffee appears to be at the intensity that is desired and then slowly push the plunger down to the bottom. Pour and enjoy. When finished remove the plunger and discard the grounds. I usually try to wipe as much out with a paper towel, but some of the grounds will stick to the plunger screen and the glass pot, just rinse off.
5. I use it at work where we have a water cooler that has a “hot” dispenser. It’s a quick option when I want Gevalia coffee but don’t want a whole pot.
3 years, 3 months ago